Applicants who wish to immigrate to Canada on a Family Visa must have a qualifying relative who is willing to sponsor the application.
To qualify, a sponsor must:
- Be a Canadian citizen OR permanent resident;
- Reside in Canada (with few exceptions);
- Be over the age of 18 years;
- Satisfy other requirements of immigration laws, regulations and policies.
Qualifying relationships are as follows:
- Common-law partner;
- Conjugal partner;
- Dependent children (including adopted children);
- Accompanying spouses, common-law partners and dependent children of the above relatives.
The following relationships may also qualify, if they are orphaned (they must also be under 18 years and not married or in a common-law relationship):
- Brothers and/or sisters;
- Nieces and/or nephews;
In addition, under certain circumstances, a person may be sponsored under the Family Visa if the sponsor has no other family relative that he or she could sponsor from the list above, who is either:
- A Canadian citizen
- A permanent resident;
- An Indian Aboriginal (as per the Indian Act 1985)